Re: query from Georg Greve of GNU about Debian's opinion of the FDL

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 11:40:22AM -0500,
 Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote
 a message of 58 lines which said:

> > I strongly object: Great Britain and its former colonies are not the
> > majority of the world, whatever your criteria (number of inhabitants,
> > GNP, etc) are.
>
> I strongly object to your objection.  The U.S., U.K., and other
> countries using the "common law" legal system are important enough
> within the domain of discussion (Free Software distributed by the Debian
> Project) to be granted consideration.

I never said to ignore them. I objected to an argument from Nathanael
Nerode saying in essence that the majority should prevail. Taking into
account common law is fine. Deciding that common law should have the
last word because of a (non-existing) majority is not.

> In any event, if non-common law countries have legal frameworks that
> technically render Free Software as conceived by the FSF and the Debian
> Project impossible,

Pure FUD. See my rebuke of Nathanael Nerode's message that I just
sent.