Re: Knoppix and GPL

> For those who would prefer paragraph a), please consider the fact that
> a CD that consists 3/4 of only source code may not be a very popular
> thing for the majority of potential users, and also CD-magazines and
> FTP mirrors try to avoid stuff that is not likely to EVER being used
> or downloaded.

Perhaps another solution would be a canonical list of the pieces used and
their original source?  Someone could feed this to wget and have it do the
work of grabbing things from all over the net.  A scheduled program could
ensure the list stays correct and flags missing tars as upstreams change.
Worst case is you would have to publicly archive tars that disappear (say an
upstream only keeps the last 4 versions of a package public).  This should
not put too large a drag on your servers or the mirrors.

This solution would help solve the "what does this cd contain?" question and I
believe would alleviate the problems posed by the originator of the thread.

I may have missed this on the cd (not looked recently) so forgive me if this
is there already.