Re: Proposed statement wrt GNU FDL

Scripsit Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org>

[GPL preamble]

> > It still contains an invariant section, though it's less severe than the
> > GFDL type, as it can be removed.

> It's nothing special created by the copyright license. Its the general
> rule that you aren't allowed to misrepresent other's beliefs, which is
> what carrying the Preamble to your modified license (especially the
> first two paragraphs), without the FSF's permission, would be.

That could be covered adequately by a you-must-not-misrepresent-me
clause. The current status of the preamble goes much farther than
that. It says that I must not reuse the wordings in the preamble for
composing a text that expresses *my* views on licensing (and makes
clear that they are mine, not the FSF's).

Your argument could be applied to any sort of invariant sections:
Because there is some possible way of modifying this section that
would misrepresent my beliefs, should I not feel morally entitled to
forbid *all* modifications of the section?

Henning Makholm             "Han råber og skriger, vakler ud på kørebanen og
                          ind på fortorvet igen, hæver knytnæven mod en bil,
                     hilser overmådigt venligt på en mor med barn, bryder ud
                    i sang og stiller sig til sidst op og pisser i en port."