Re: LPPL, take 2

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Walter Landry wrote:
> It is just a little less restrictive.  Instead of requiring people to
> make a positive action to show that something is modified, they only
> have to prevent it from showing that it isn't.

Hmm.  I'm not sure it's actually less restrictive.  Preventing another
piece of software (the base format) from making a claim is a lot harder
than making a positive claim yourself.

> > If the initial LaTeX-format must be modified in order to make certain
> > modifications to an LPPL-licensed module, it's hard for me to see this as
> > a free license.
>
> That is how I read it as well.  Requiring modified files to use the
> standard facility is too onerous.

Agreed.  They should be allowed to use whatever facility they like.  That
wasn't the basis of my objection.

>> section 5b
> How about changing "user" to "end user"?  Would that make it clear enough?

How about "copyright identification strings"?  I suppose "end user
identification strings" works too.