Re: UnrealIRCd Legal Status

Scripsit Roger Ward <roger.ward@natnet.com>

> Rather than paste the EULA (it has been pasted several times) here is a URL
> which will display it from their webserver:

> http://www.unrealircd.org/downloads.php?eula=1

It says (no, shouts), among other things:

| THE AUTHORS MAINTAIN THE RIGHT TO MODIFY THIS AGREEMENT SO LONG AS
| NOTICE IS PLACED ON THE WEBSITE 24 HOURS BEFORE THE CHANGES TAKE
| EFFECT. ANY RIGHT NOT EXPRESSLY GRANTED TO THE USER ARE RESERVED BY
| THE AUTHORS.
|
| THE USER MUST IN ADDITION AGREE TO ALL TERMS OF THE GNU GPL LICENSE
| AGREEMENT.

The combination of these two clauses seem to make it not just non-free
but illegal to redistribute at all. If I have to agree to be bound by
whatever wild terms the authors can think up tomorrow, I cannot fulfil
the GPL's requirement to make sure that people I distribute the
software to have all the rights the GPL gives them. Therefore, by GPL
#7 I cannot distribute.

--
Henning Makholm  "They discussed old Tommy Somebody and Jerry Someone Else."