Re: Revised LaTeX Project Public License (LPPL)

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 12:19, Mark Rafn wrote:
> Thank you for doing this, Jeff.  It would be great to have LPPL which
> allows us to keep LaTeX in Debian.  I really wish it wasn't a matter of
> "standing ground", but it doesn't appear that any of the non-free
> requirements have been removed.  It limits filenames, programmatic
> identification strings, and 5.a.2 provides an infinite amount of
> additional unchangeable api.
>
> This is a proprietary license, with some additional rights to modify
> within a limited scope.

Like I said, don't assume that anything in the license is there because
the LaTeX Project forced it.

The filename limitations are now optional; 5.a.1 is one possibility of
three.  As for 5.a.2 and the programmatic identification strings, can
you elaborate?  Considering that much of the wording in the license is
mine (including 5.a.2), it's entirely possible that the parts you object
to are because of my poor wording and are not a fundamental difference.
--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>