Re: Standard non-copyleft free license?

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Branden Robinson wrote:
> License documents that succumb excessively to lawyer's desires to
> have many "sticks" with which to "beat" the licensee should be
> rejected as non-DFSG-free, because they don't promote freedom.

I don't think we really need to worry about whether a license promotes
freedom; we should worry whether a license restricts that freedom or
not.

> Licenses that terrorize the licensee and discourage him or her from
> exercising the rights he or she should be able to expect from a Free
> Software license are not the sort of thing people should need to
> worry about coming from Debian main.

Certainly. I'm just commenting on the motivation behind the clause.
Since the actual action that the clause prevents is (at least in the
US) illegal in itself, I don't see a significant problem for Debian.

Don Armstrong

--
Personally, I think my choice in the mostest-superlative-computer wars
has to be the HP-48 series of calculators.  They'll run almost

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu