Re: QPL clause 3 is not DFSG-free

On Saturday 15 March 2003 03:06 pm, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Fair Use does *not* allow you unlimited rights to create derivative
> works.  It might suck, but it just doesn't.  Copyright law restricts
> copying and the preparation of derivative works, even if you don't
> distribute the derivatives.

<nitpick>
Actually fair use *does* allow derivitive works if not copy and distributed:
I can paint mustaches on all the portrait posters I buy, write notes all over
my books, and cut and paste them into pastiches of themselves, type the
contents into my word processor and alter it to my heart's content.

So long as I don't make copies for sale or free distribution, I'm completely
within fair use.  Presumeably the same applies to programs.
</nitpick>