Re: The Show So Far

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

> The main point to consider here is the intent of the person providing
> the GPL client.  Remember that the GPL says it is ALWAYS ok to create
> non-free derivatives of GPL works, if you don't distribute them at all.
> This means that, even if you regard a remote website as an RPC call,
> when the *user* combines the browser and server by typing in a URL or
> following a link, no GPL violation can have occurred.

Right, so here's what I'll do.  I'll create a non-free derivative of
GNU Foo, which adds a splendid text-manipulation function that many
people want.  And I'll write a CGI so that people can type in text and
my web site will run the modified GNU Foo.  I'll charge people money
for this service, and never release my changes.  The original GNU Foo
did make its source available over the web interface, but my
modification does not.

David Turner thinks this should be prohibited, and therefore the GPL
should be changed to prohibit it.  You have said that as long as no
distribution happens, it's fine.  Which is it?