Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes - constructive suggestion!

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 08:04, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > Sure. Compare this to some code using the GPL; same sort of information,
> > same problem with it: their trade secrets are woven into the functionality
> > of the code itself.
>
> In that case you can simply choose to distribute the program only to
> people you trust. You can't do this if the license carries an
> obligation to distribute to a fixed third party, too.

Interesting!  I am inclined to agree with this, and point out that the
AGPL basically puts users in the category of people you have to trust.
The question is, who needs to be in this category?  Do users?  Sniffen
(who secretely wants to write proprietary software) and Bushnell (whose
heart is in the right place) say no.  I think Towns says yes (as do I).

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson