Re: PHP-Nuke: A calling for votes

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 07:16:07PM +0100, Hugo Espuny wrote:
> As after trying (yeah!, i mean trying, because is to hard to extract
> conclusions from such a very large thread) I don't get a clear idea of
> what you legal gurus think about this matter, i 'm asking you for vote
> accordingly with your feelings in this matter, so you help me to make my
> decision as i am not legal guru.  No better moment as now we are in
> elections time :-)

Note that this is not so much a legal question as a question of
software freedom.  The only legal argument that would apply would
go like this:

   1. The GPL is DFSG-free by definition
   2. The author is interpreting GPL 2(c) in a legally valid way
   3. Therefore, the condition is also DFSG-free

I think that even if step 2 were correct (and I don't see how it
could be extended all the way to "there must be a footer on every page"),
then step 3 would become "Therefore, we have found a bug in the GPL".
This is because I think the question of freedom overrides the text of
the GPL.

You don't have to be a legal guru to have an opinion about software
freedom :)

> 2) What you can vote: just one of the next options, just once by person.
>              a) "Move it to non-free"
>              b) "Stay at main"
>              c) "I don't know"

I think it should be moved to non-free if you're willing to maintain
it there, and otherwise removed completely.

Richard Braakman