Re: PHPNuke license

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:45:47PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 14:20, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > There is a clear and distinct difference between the grep in ls | grep
> > > '^some.regexp$' | xargs rm, and PHPNuke!
> >
> > Where is the difference between your example ls/grep/xargs and my example
> > PHPNuke pipeline?
>
> PHPNuke is interactive.  Grep isn't.  Please recall the definition of
> interactive is:

Ever get the feeling this conversation is going in circles? :-)

My example was trying to show how PHPNuke is interactive.  You're saying my
example is wrong because the difference between PHPNuke and grep is that
PHPNuke is interactive.  Seems like an un-bridgable chasm to me :-)

In any case, I maintain that PHPNuke does not meet the following part of
this definition:

>      <programming> A term describing a program whose input and
>      output are interleaved, like a conversation, allowing the
>      user's input to depend on earlier output from the same run.

In each run, PHPNuke receives a single request and sends a single result.
There is no interleaving.

Now, you could argue that with session cookies, etc. that makes all the
difference, but unless PHPNuke is broken without them, I don't think that
argument works.

-- John