Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003, David Turner wrote:
> Let me point you to the plain language of 17 USC?  I am quoting for
> you the relevant section of 106:
> "(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;"
> Note that it does not say:
> "(2) to dsitribute derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;"

Unfortunatly, it's not enough to quote section 106, as 107 (the "Fair
Use" section) limits the exclusive rights granted to the copyright

I would be surprised if you could find case law holding that private
modification without distribution did not fall under 107. [But if you
can, please do.]

Don Armstrong

I never until now realized that the primary job of any emoticon is to
say "excuse me, that didn't make any sense." ;-P  -- Cory Doctorow