Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003, Russell Nelson wrote:
> The modified software can be distributed by the recipient without
> telling anyone anything except the 2nd recipient.
>
> The modified software can be modified by the recipient only if he
> tellss the public at large.  This is the same condition.

I'm not sure that I follow this argument.

How is (a) providing source to an individual receiving a copy of the
modified software the same as (b) providing source to the public at
large?

'a' would involve offering the source to at least one person, whereas
'b' would require offering the source in a manner calculated to be
reachable by the public at large (which presumably means everyone, at
the very least including the originating copyright holder.)

Don Armstrong

--
Debian's not really about the users or the software at all. It's a
large flame-generating engine that the cabal uses to heat their coffee

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu