Re: PHPNuke license

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 03:07:20PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 03:09:45PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > >
> > > Good point.  I wonder, though, if the difference is important?
> >
> > Uh, why do you think the FSF went to the trouble of writing sections 6
> > and 7 of the GNU GPL in the first place?
>
> Those don't apply to the copyright holder.  The GPL applies only to people
> that receive a copy from them.  The "You" in "You may not impost any further
> restrictions" in section 6 refers to people that receive the program from
> someone other than the copyright holder that is redistributing it under the
> GPL.  It would not be the redistributor that is imposing the additional
> restrictions; it would be the copyright holder.

	This is true.  However, you cannot include the full text of the
GNU GPL verbatim, and include additional restrictions as they stand and
still have a consistent license.  In this case, the GPL helpfully
nullifies itself because you cannot meet both its obligations and the
additional restrictions imposed.  Therefore, your users do not get the
privledge of copying, modifying or redistributing.

	This basically means that your program is "freeware" and not
really "copyleft."

Simon