Re: PHPNuke license

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 01:38:52PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > What this restriction is much *more* like is the Zope web bug ("all
> > pages rendered with Zope have to have our little image on it"), against
> > which Bruce Perens successfully campaigned some years ago.
>
> Perhaps, but the Zope license required it explicitely, while the PHPNuke
> author is relying on the GPL section 2c to enforce it.
[...]
> As John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
>
> : Additionally, there seems to be input from the FSF here:
> : http://phpnuke.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4947
>
> So the FSF unfortunately disagree with you on that point.
>
> Maybe they didn't understand the finer points?

It looks that way to me.

> Can you imagine if LaTeX added a copyright notice at the bottom of
> every page it created?

I do not think the Debian Project can afford to concur with Dave
Turner's interpretation of clause 2c of the GNU GPL.  See my other
messages in this thread for an explanation why.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     If God had intended for man to go
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     about naked, we would have been