Re: PHPNuke license

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:22:44PM -0500, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > We do have some software that is GNU GPL with exceptions, but these
> > exceptions grant additional rights, instead of imposing additional
> > restrictions.
>
> Good point.  I wonder, though, if the difference is important?

As far as their ability to qualify as "free" under the DFSG, yes.

If a software is free to begin with, the granting of more rights to
the licensee shouldn't make it non-free. [At least, I can't think of
an example where this would be the case. It may be possible to make a
claim in certain cases regarding "Fields of Endeavor", but that seems
to be rather contrived.]

Don Armstrong

--
I leave the show floor, but not before a pack of caffeinated Jolt gum
is thrust at me by a hyperactive girl screaming, "Chew more! Do more!"

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu