Re: PHPNuke license

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 01:38:52PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > What this restriction is much *more* like is the Zope web bug ("all
> > pages rendered with Zope have to have our little image on it"), against
> > which Bruce Perens successfully campaigned some years ago.
>
> Perhaps, but the Zope license required it explicitely, while the PHPNuke
> author is relying on the GPL section 2c to enforce it.

I don't think I gather that from this:

"YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO REMOVE NOR CHANGE/EDIT THAT NOTE."

explicitly stated in the Debian copyright file for the package.

I think that is an extra restriction.

> : Additionally, there seems to be input from the FSF here:
> : http://phpnuke.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4947
>
> So the FSF unfortunately disagree with you on that point.

I don't think that you can attribute that as a legal opinion of the FSF; it
appears to be the opinion of an FSF staffer trying to help out.  It's
possible the Prof. Moglen would advance a different interpretation.

> Maybe they didn't understand the finer points?  Can you imagine if LaTeX
> added a copyright notice at the bottom of every page it created?

An excellent analogy.

-- John