Re: Always free?

Scripsit Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org>

> A lot of things would break if licences were arbitrarily revocable. I
> haven't heard of it happening in practice, and I'm not sure the
> "consideration" argument from contract law has any validity.

Apart from those arguments, the "consideration" doctrine is not
followed in most continental European law systems. Here it is in
principle possible to make binding nonreciprocated promises. (Although
courts will often be inclined to interpret any ambiguous wording in
the statement of the promise in favor of the promiser).

--
Henning Makholm                                           "Check the sprog."