Re: academic software without licence

On Monday 03 February 2003 08:31 pm, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On Monday 03 February 2003 20:13, Terry Hancock wrote:
> > But "available to everyone, with no restrictions" does give you distribute
> > and modify, since non-modification is clearly a restriction.
>
> "available" gives you the right to have it, not the right to give it to
> someone else.

"with no restrictions" does. If you give me something "without restrictions"
-- I can give it to anyone I please.  It doesn't matter if it's a program or
a car.  I can change the engine, swap the tires, park it in my backyard to
rot, or blow it up.  Of course, if that breaks any laws, *I'm* liable, not
you.

The fact that it's software doesn't change this part, IMHO.  I translate that
as "redistribution and/or modification".

Cheers,
Terry