Re: mod_ldap for proftpd is now post-card licensed (proftpd 1.2.7+)...

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Nick Phillips wrote:
> There is nothing to stop an author making a statement that "You may
> copy distribute and modify this work under the terms of the GPL in
> combination with the following extra conditions, which shall override
> the GPL in cases of conflict".

The author can (probably) do that, but what the eventual license
actually allows or disallows is kind of murkey. Mixing and matching
licenses is a bad idea, as the interpretation of such a license is
(basically) left to the court system.

> Where's the problem?

The main issue that I see is that the GPL is written in such a way
that it does not allow it to be combined with other restrictions and
still have the GPL take effect.

In section 0 of the GPL:

  This License applies to any program or other work which contains a
  notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed
  under the terms of this General Public License.

Thus, someone could argue that the in the case of the use of the GPL
but blah, the GPL itself did not apply.

> When we come up against one of these cases we should say "Is this
> what you intended?

I agree. As much as possible, we should respect the author's wishes,
and courteously point out the problems that make such wishes
incompatible with the DFSG or the licensing problems that make the
terms of the license unclear.

Ideally, the author will find a license that incorporates his wishes
as much as possible, and remains compatible with the DFSG.

Don Armstrong

--
N: It's a ploy.
B: What?