Re: OSD && DFSG convergence

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 09:54:54PM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Simon Law writes:
>  > 	Public domain software that is unlicensed does not have the
>  > protection of copyright law.  Therefore, it is likely to meet all the
>  > DFSG criteria.
>
> How can it?  There is no license, so how can it meet #3 Derived Works?
> I'm not being trivial and pointless here, I'm being careful.

	Ah... I see that you are being pedantic.  Thankfully, the DFSG
is not a legal document; so although it is a literal interpretation, any
sane Debian Developer will realise that public domain software needs no
license whatsoever to meet all other DFSG criteria.

	Notice that I was careful in not specifying that it would meet
OSD criteria.  Your world and ours is ever so slightly different.

Simon