Re: acceptable restrictions on modification

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 06:53:28PM +0900, Oohara Yuuma wrote:
> > > The GPL forbids removing code from interactive programs which displays
> > > copyright notices.
> > Yes, and in my opinion this is a defect in the license.
> You mean this?
> | If the program is interactive, make it output a short notice like this
> | when it starts in an interactive mode:
> |
> |     Gnomovision version 69, Copyright (C) year  name of author
> |     Gnomovision comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `show w'.
> |     This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> |     under certain conditions; type `show c' for details.
> This is not a part of GPL terms.

Yes, it is. 2c:

    c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
    when run, you must cause it, when started running for such
    interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an
    announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a
    notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide
    a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under
    these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this
    License.  (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but
    does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on
    the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

--
Glenn Maynard