Re: OSD && DFSG convergence

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 16:57, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On 20030126T125505-0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
> > One is that software must comply with the DFSG to be a
> > part of Debian, and yet the DFSG does not admit the possibility of
> > public-domain unlicensed software.
>
> As far as I know, public-domain software does not exist.  The only way
> for a program to enter the public domain would be for it to be so old
> that its author has been dead for 70 years.  There was no software 70
> years ago.

A decent reference on public domain in the USA is available here:
http://www.benedict.com/info/publicDomain/publicDomain.asp

For example:
* "Federal documents and publications are not copyrighted, and therefore
are considered to be in the Public Domain", and
* "The public domain contains all works which previously had copyright
protection, but which subsequently lost that protection due to pilot
error."

Regards,
Brian