Re: Linux kernel complete licence check, Q.15

On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 09:37, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> linux/net/ipx/af_ipx.c
>
> /*
>   *      Implements an IPX socket layer.
>   *
>   *      This code is derived from work by
>   *              Ross Biro       :       Writing the original IP stack
>   *              Fred Van Kempen :       Tidying up the TCP/IP
>   *
>   *      Many thanks go to Keith Baker, Institute For Industrial Information
>   *      Technology Ltd, Swansea University for allowing me to work on this
>   *      in my own time even though it was in some ways related to
> commercial
>   *      work I am currently employed to do there.
>   *
>   *      All the material in this file is subject to the Gnu license
> version 2.
>   *      Neither Alan Cox nor the Swansea University Computer Society admit
>   *      liability nor provide warranty for any of this software. This
> material
>   *      is provided as is and at no charge.
>   *
>   *      Revision 0.21:  Uses the new generic socket option code.
>   *      Revision 049:   SPX support dropped, see comment in ipx_create
>   *
>   *      Protect the module by a MOD_INC_USE_COUNT/MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT
>   *      pair. Also, now usage count is managed this way
>   *      -Count one if the auto_interface mode is on
>   *      -Count one per configured interface
>   *
>   *      Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
>   *
>   *
>   *      Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera, Inc. <greg@caldera.com>
>   *      Neither Greg Page nor Caldera, Inc. admit liability nor provide
>   *      warranty for any of this software. This material is provided
>   *      "AS-IS" and at no charge.
>   */
>
> This last sentence cause me some trouble. It seems so me that
> caldera provide us some code at no charge (to use), but no
> right to modify/distribute. Anyway, the top we read:
> "All the material in this file is subject to the Gnu license version 2."
>
> Should I take it as GPLv2?
>
> ciao
> 	giacomo

I can only speak on the subject of US law, but it appears to me that the
statement "All the material in this file is subject to the Gnu license
version 2." would govern because the reference to Caldera's code doesn't
make any claim to assert a license, it's merely a statement of
ownership.

Regards,
ninewands

--
There is no problem that cannot be resolved by the appropriate
application of high explosives.

Public key available at: http://gnv.us.ks.cryptnet.net/,
Key ID: A015B18D, or finger ninewands@ninewands.dyndns.org