Re: Please review license change for cl-defsystem3

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 09:46:38AM -0700, Kevin Rosenberg wrote:
> I've been in contact with the authors and Copyright holders to
> mk-defsystem. They are agreeable to changing the license as
> follows. My opinion is that it is DFSG-compatible, but they'd like the
> opinion of the the experts before changing the license.
>
> Thanks!

Thanks for following up!

> ;;; Copyright (c) 1989 - 1999 Mark Kantrowitz. All rights reserved.
> ;;;               1999 - 2002 Mark Kantrowitz and Marco Antoniotti. All
> ;;;                           rights reserved.
>
> ;;; Use, copying, modification, merging, publishing, distribution
> ;;; and/or sale of this software, source and/or binary files and
> ;;; associated documentation files (the "Software") and of derivative
> ;;; works based upon this Software are permitted, as long as the
> ;;; following conditions are met:
>
> ;;;    o this copyright notice is included intact and is prominently
> ;;;      visible in the Software
> ;;;    o if modifications have been made to the source code of the
> ;;;      this package that have not been adopted for inclusion in the
> ;;;      official version of MK-DEFSYSTEM as maintained by the Copyright

(silly nitpick)

It's not necessary to capitalize "copyright".

> ;;;      holders, then the modified package MUST CLEARLY identify that
> ;;;      such package is a non-standard and non-official version of
> ;;;      MK-DEFSYSTEM.  Furthermore, it is strongly encouraged that any
> ;;;      modifications made to MK-DEFSYSTEM be sent via e-mail to the
> ;;;      MK-DEFSYSTEM maintainers for consideration of inclusion in the
> ;;;      official MK-DEFSYSTEM package.

Just a suggestion, but they might want to say "the Software" instead of
"MK-DEFSYSTEM", since they already went to the trouble of defining "the
Software" in the first paragraph.

But my suggestion is certainly not relevant to the DFSG.

> ;;; THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
> ;;; EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
> ;;; MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
> ;;; IN NO EVENT SHALL M. KANTROWITZ AND M. ANTONIOTTI BE LIABLE FOR ANY
> ;;; CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT,
> ;;; TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE
> ;;; SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
>
> ;;; Except as contained in this notice, the names of M. Kantrowitz and
> ;;; M. Antoniotti shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote
> ;;; the sale, use or other dealings in this Software without prior written
> ;;; authorization from M. Kantrowitz and M. Antoniotti.

This license looks DFSG-free to me.  I'd like to thank the authors/copyright
holders for revisiting the license.  I know it was some time and
trouble, and I appreciate you making this effort.

Any other opinions on the above license from my fellow debian-legal geeks?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The last Christian died on the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       cross.