Re: off-topic discussion about permissions and promises

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 03:45:56PM +0000, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Yet another problem with your theory: what if the author is dead? I
> cannot bind my heirs with a promise (unless I do something horribly
> complicated with trusts and wills) but I expect my licences to remain
> valid.
>
> It's an interesting theory, but it doesn't really fit with reality.

U.S. copyright and contract law is optimized for cases where rich people
are trying to retain wealth, not cases where anything in particular is
done for the common weal (such as contributing things to the public
domain).

The thing only "laissez-faire" about U.S. capitalism is that rich
individuals and corporations are free to shoot you in the back of the
head and then send your next-of-kin an invoice for the labor and
material costs incurred in carrying out your execution.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Somewhere, there is a .sig so funny
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    that reading it will cause an