Re: off-topic discussion about permissions and promises

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net>:

> The way I read the GPL it is clearly a promise: I promise that *if*
> you agree to my conditions about, e.g., not demanding an NDA from
> people you distribute the code to, *then* - and not before - I will
> give you my permission to copy.

Yet another problem with your theory: what if the author is dead? I
cannot bind my heirs with a promise (unless I do something horribly
complicated with trusts and wills) but I expect my licences to remain
valid.

It's an interesting theory, but it doesn't really fit with reality.

Edmund