Re: Bad license on VCG?

Nick Phillips <nwp@nz.lemon-computing.com>:

> > You're the one amending "selected from those forms which are available
> > to you."  The GPL *doesn't say that*.  Maybe it's your definition of
> > source, but it's not the GPL's.
>
> I knew someone would come up with that. There is however no other reasonable
> interpretation of the GPL possible.
>
> If you take your argument to its logical conclusion then I can immediately
> prevent you from distributing, say, gcc by going through the sources,
> improving the comments, and refusing to distribute my new version at all.

I agree.

Still, I think it would be a good idea to demonstrate that the code
that one is distributing as "source" really is the "preferred form ...
for making modification" by making some modification in it, and to
demonstrate that one is not acting in cahoots with the upstream
maintainer by insulting them a bit in the README :-)

Edmund