Bad license on VCG?

The Readme for VCG says:

LICENSE CONDITIONS
     Copyright (C) 1993--1995 by Iris Lemke, Georg Sander, and
                                 the Compare Consortium

     This work is supported by the ESPRIT project 5399 Compare.
     We thank the Compare Consortium for the permission to distribute
     this software and documentation freely.  You can redistribute
     it under the terms of the  GNU General Public License as published by
     the  Free Software Foundation;  version 2  of the License.

     The members of the Compare Consortium are ACE Associated Computer
     Experts bv, GMD Forschungsstelle an der Universitaet Karlsruhe,
     Harlequin Limited, INRIA, STERIA, Stichting Mathematisch Centrum (CWI),
     and Universitaet des Saarlandes.

     The Compare Consortium will neither assume responsibility for any
     damages caused by the use of its products, nor accept warranty or
     update claims. This product is distributed in the hope that it will
     be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty
     of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
     GNU General Public License for more details.  See the file COPYING.

     The software is available per anonymous ftp at ftp.cs.uni-sb.de.
     Contact  sander@cs.uni-sb.de  for additional information.

A SPECIAL REMARK ABOUT LICENSE CONDITIONS
     We would certainly like to continue to distribute the documented
     sources freely, but currently we have the situation that we cannot
     continue in this programmer-friendly way as before.

     Thus, we have uglified some of the files in the distribution: these
     are the graph layout modules. These files are not anymore readable
     for human being, but they are readeable for the compiler. Thus you
     can compile the sources as before, but you cannot find out anymore
     how the details of the layout algorithms work.

     This is a compromise. I think this is a better solution than to
     distribute binaries, because the users still can adapt the tool to
     their computer system. (In the layout modules, normally no adaption
     is necessary). Further, we did not spent too much time with
     uglification, thus the result should not be too ugly ;-)

VCG is currently in main, but is it distributable at all? The GPL doesn't
consider this source, IIRC.