Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 04:21:10PM -0400, Simon Law wrote:
> 	My goodness!  Here's where all our experiences with dynamic
> libraries pay off.
>
> 	For the love of all that is good in this world, when the LaTeX3
> team finally releases it to the world: please include these two things:
>
> 1. SONAMES
> 2. Versioned symbols
> 3. Namespaces

THREE, I mean THREE things... [Monty Python sketch elided]

So far our experience with dynamic libraries is what kind of mess you get
if you only have the first :)  glibc uses versioned symbols, but it's
still a voice in the wilderness.

But yeah, a strong versioning system could be an improvement over
filename-and-official-author based schemes, except for possibly
being more complicated.  It might mean having to keep large numbers
of versions of popular packages around, though, in order to have a
complete system.

Richard Braakman