Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

> Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:21:10 -0400
> From: Simon Law <sfllaw@uwaterloo.ca>

> 	My goodness!  Here's where all our experiences with dynamic
> libraries pay off.

Do you remember how glibc team broke the compatibility between MINOR
versions? It was a jolly sight

> 	For the love of all that is good in this world, when the LaTeX3
> team finally releases it to the world: please include these two things:
>
> 1. SONAMES
> 2. Versioned symbols
> 3. Namespaces

I understand how to implement sonames in Unix with its wonderful long
filenames and symlinks. However, I am not sure about filesystems like
FAT with its 8.3 filenames, or whatever serves for filesystem on Palm
Pilots. Remember, TeX is NOT a Unix program -- it works everywhere --
and so must LaTeX. Do you know that LaTeX contains a lot of code
designed specifically to make it possible to run on low memory
machines like 286? As to namespaces -- it is a fun to map Knuth's
weird ideas of namespacing into anything resembling the practices
common now.

--
Good luck

-Boris

On a normal ascii line, the only safe condition to detect is a 'BREAK'
- everything else having been assigned functions by Gnu EMACS.
	-- Tarl Neustaedter