Re: Software Patents Re: MP3 decoders' non-freeness

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 10:01:39PM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> Ugh.  And here I thought the whole point of a patent was to cover
> a novel method of achieving something, not to grant a monopoly on
> the thing to be achieved.

How naïve you are.

Welcome to the new capitalism.

Monopolies good.
Police and courts protecting your markets good.
Guaranteed revenue streams good.
State-protected business models good.

Competition bad.
Invisible hand bad.
Product reviews bad.
Independent scientific research bad.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The best place to hide something is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    in documentation.