Re: MP3 decoders' non-freeness

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 12:45:12AM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> At 08:49 PM 8/5/02 -0400, Joe Drew wrote:
> >On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 14:49, Joe Drew wrote:
> >> Has there been any resolution of this issue? Is it safe to close these
> >> bugs?
> >It seems there has been no resolution, but this is an issue we cannot
> >afford to ignore.
> Why? Honestly, we won't be the first to get sued - no blood from a turnip,
> and all that.

You mightn't have noticed but Debian is distributed by mirror sites
hosted by a bunch of universities, ISPs, companies, and others all around
the world. There's plenty of blood to be gotten from those turnips, and,
heck, there's blood to be gotten from SPI, for that matter. In any event,
opening our sponsors to lawsuits isn't the way we do things.

Cheers,
aj