[OT] Re: endorsements disclaimer as part of the warranty statement

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 07:47:56PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > If evil.c is under the GPL, then it can be modified for any purpose
> > (including disabling its functionality).
>
> For most purposes, yes, but not for *any* purpose.  See section
> 2(c) of the GPL for details:
>
>     c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
>     when run, you must cause it, when started running for such
>     interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an
>     announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a
>     notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide
>     a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under
>     these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this
>     License.  (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but
>     does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on
>     the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

One of the annoying parts of the GPL, too.  I've considered adding
support for a "SUPPRESS_GPL_BLURB" environment variable to programs, so
I don't have to manually disable this in a different way for each
program.

Not that I'm likely to actually get around to doing this, but any opinions
on whether this satisfies this clause?  It seems to--the most ordinary way
of running the program is without the variable, since it's only there if
someone adds it, just like my "gdb -q" alias is only there because I
added it.

--
Glenn Maynard