Re: endorsements disclaimer as part of the warranty statement

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> So, might not the DFCL say something like:
>
> BECAUSE THE CONTENT OF THE WORK IS FREELY MODIFIABLE BY ALL THIRD
> PARTIES, THERE IS NO WARRANTY THAT ANY REPRESENTATIONS MADE WITH IN ARE
> MADE BY, ON BEHALF OF, OR WITH THE CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR(S) OR COPYRIGHT
> HOLDER(S).  ANY STATEMENTS MADE WITHIN THE WORK ARE NOT NECESSARILY
> HELD, SHARED, OR ENDORSED BY THE AUTHOR(S) OR COPYRIGHT HOLDER(S).

[snipage]

> Now, go ahead, boys, tell me how it's GPL-incompatible and how I'm
> violating "the principle of least surprise".

This scenario looks good, to me, at least.  For whatever that's
worth.

I had a hypothetical all ready that would show how someone could use
the sort of tunneling you were talking about to tie malicious code
(e.g., spyware, or copy-right checking code) to something else and
claim the result was GPL, despite being unable to prune the nasty
stuff out....  But I guess that's superfluous now.  ;)

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>