Re: GNU FDL 1.2 draft comment summary posted, and RFD

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 08:58:25PM -0400, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:13:01PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Keep it mind what DFSG 6 literally says:
> >
> > 	No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
> >
> > 	The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the
> > 	program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not
> > 	restrict the program from being used in a business, or from
> > 	being used for genetic research.
> >
> > Strictly speaking, if you restrict people in a certain field of endeavor
> > from *modifying* or *distributing* the work, you're not violating the
> > letter of DFSG 6.
>
> So you are saying that a license that says something along the lines of:
> 'you may use this program in any way, the Debian project may distribute
> this program in any way it sees fit, however no one else may distribute
> this program in any manner for any reason'
> Would be perfectly alright as far as DFSG 6 goes?

That's correct.

> I would argue that distributing is a form of use.

You could argue that, but many licenses take what I would interpret as a
contrary position:

(GNU GPL)
	Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
	covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of running
	the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program is
	covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the Program
	(independent of having been made by running the Program).

> (Yes, this license would violate 1, 5, and 8 even if 6 is fine, but it
> makes the point.)

I have no problem with Debian interpreting DFSG 6 more broadly that it
is written, to include all of the freedoms that we normally talk about:
use, modification, copying, and distribution of modified or unmodified
copies.

In fact, I would encourage that interpretation as it is clearly
consonant with the spirit of the DFSG, and I don't know that any package
has ever been permitted into main that had a license contrary to this
spirit but compliant with the letter of DFSG 6.

Just one example why I think we (Debian) need the freedom to amend the
DFSG, "foundational document" or not.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The best place to hide something is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    in documentation.