Re: GNU FDL 1.2 draft comment summary posted, and RFD

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 11:40:37AM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> When the professor got the source to the book, did she not read the
> license?  Was the professor not giving access to the source of the
> document?  It's not that hard to make an announcement at the beginning
> of class offering the course to anyone who wants it.  Especially for
> such a large class.  I'm sure a number of laptop-happy students would
> even take her up on it.  I just don't see the problem here, unless the
> professor just thinks, "Oooh, free stuff!"  People think that about
> GPL stuff all the time, and they rightfully get slapped down.

No one has yet gone to trial over the GNU GPL[1].

> What is the problem here?

We should not render legally illegitmate what is ethically legitimate.

[1] I am unable to determine what is going on with MySQL AB v. Progress
Software ("NuSphere").  The Federal 1st Circuit's calendar is not
available via their website.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "I came, I saw, she conquered."
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      The original Latin seems to have