Re: GNU FDL 1.2 draft comment summary posted, and RFD

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 06:19:25PM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> > Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> > > I don't want to see the DFCL used as a weapon against people who haven't
> > > done anything ethically illegitimate.
> >
> > I'm trying to think of a case where this might happen, but I can't.
> > Especially since the license makes small scale copying an exception to
> > a general rule.
>
> Scenario:
>
> Big Publisher has been compelled by circumstances to license a book
> on molecular biology under the DFCL.  They hold the copyright.
> Professor A teaches a class on this subject at the University of
> Middletown.  Professor A's class is at its subscription limit (100)
> going into the term.  On the first day of lecture she hands out 100
> printed copies of the book to her students (wow, 100% attendance on the
> first day!).  After about a week, a few students realize molecular
> biology is too much for them this semester and drop.  Counselor notices
> that the class is no longer oversubscribed and contacts one of his
> enterprising students and asks if she'd like to add the course.  The
> student happily says yes.  Professor A is thrilled to see someone
> enthusiastic enough to join the course despite missing a week,
> prints out the 101st copy of the book, and gives it to the new student.

When the professor got the source to the book, did she not read the
license?  Was the professor not giving access to the source of the
document?  It's not that hard to make an announcement at the beginning
of class offering the course to anyone who wants it.  Especially for
such a large class.  I'm sure a number of laptop-happy students would
even take her up on it.  I just don't see the problem here, unless the
professor just thinks, "Oooh, free stuff!"  People think that about
GPL stuff all the time, and they rightfully get slapped down.  What is
the problem here?

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu