Re: Endorsements

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 03:20:22PM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> > > As noted elsewhere, I'm planning on a "GPL conversion clause".  This
> > > would permit the omission of the endorsements notice.
> >
> > If I can convert it to the GPL, then I don't care what the license
> > says.  Heck, I wouldn't mind the GFDL as long as I could just convert
> > it to the GPL.
>
> That's not exactly what I mean by a conversion clause.  See one of my
> other recent replies in this thread.

There are so many, I don't know which one you're referring to.

In any case, I don't think that anyone is saying that the original
copyright mysteriously disappears when it is distributed under the
terms of the GPL.  But practically, that is what happens.  People can
make non-trivial changes and release the result under the GPL, without
endorsements.  In fact, we don't want them to include the
endorsements, because the document has changed.

Making modifications and distributing the result is the only thing
that really matters here.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu