Re: Endorsements

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 12:40:19PM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> > Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> > > 5) There will be text, in the form of a brief notice, following the
> > > copyright notice, which mentions endorsements.  Removing that text
> > > will not be permitted, unfortunately (yes, this is invariant text).
> >
> > You realize, of course, that this will make DFCL stuff unusable with
> > GPL'd code.  Do you really want to do that?
>
> As noted elsewhere, I'm planning on a "GPL conversion clause".  This
> would permit the omission of the endorsements notice.

If I can convert it to the GPL, then I don't care what the license
says.  Heck, I wouldn't mind the GFDL as long as I could just convert
it to the GPL.

> Actually, it would only "suspend" it.  The idea being that you can't
> take a DFCL-licensed work, cram it into a piece of software, and then
> suck it back out into a data file without having to restore the
> Endorsements section.  However, as long as the DFCLed work "lived"
> within a GPLed work, reproduction of the endorsement clause would not be
> required (remember, the endorsements themselves are *never* required).
>
> I don't see any GPL-compatibility problems with that.  Contrary to
> popular belief, the GPL does not change the copyright on anything.  It
> merely requires that you not impose restrictions beyond its own terms.
> A DFCL-licensed work is independently copyrighted and licensed.  If you
> incorporate that work into a GPLed one, the endorsement terms would be
> "masked off", but would re-assert themselves once the
> independently-copyrighted were were extracted from its GPLed container.

I don't see the practical benefits of "suspending" the license.  If I
modify the work, I can put my changes under the GPL.  That is not that
different from just licensing under the GPL.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu