Re: Endorsements

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 05:58 , Branden Robinson wrote:

 If you
incorporate that work into a GPLed one, the endorsement terms would be
"masked off", but would re-assert themselves once the
independently-copyrighted were were extracted from its GPLed container.

1) Take a document A under the proposed license.
2) Convert it to the GPL, by adding section B.
3) Remove section B. The GPL allows this.

Result: Document A, under the GPL. No endorsement clause.

I believe that any license attempting to stop (3), above, would be in contradiction to the GPL's no additional restrictions clause.

However, and approach that could be taken --- and I'm sorry if I've misunderstood you --- is to require this in exchange for additional rights. Something like:

	If you include the endorsements section, the copyright holders
	will, at your option, waive (whichever section of GPL requires
	distributing source) on the condition that you place the (source
	code) of this version of this document at a publicly-accessable
	URL for no less than one year.

	You may remove the above exception from any copy you distribute.

or just the standard you may distribute under either licese.