Re: GNU FDL 1.2 draft comment summary posted, and RFD

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:42:06AM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> > * No condition of this license shall be construed in such a way as to
> >   challenge or prohibit reverse-engineering or any Fair Use exception to
> >   copyright law.
>
> Please don't do something like that.  The DMCA has something like
> this, and it hasn't been too useful.

I don't see a parallel here.

* This is a license, not a law.
* This text should go without saying, but it doesn't if you read various
  judicial decisions on copyright.
* It's here as a reminder to copyright holders that they serve the
  public, not the other way around.
* It's a reminder to U.S. judges, should this license ever come under
  judicial review, that the progress of the Useful Arts and Sciences
  (may) justify copyright, not the other way around.

However, since we expect the DFCL to be used and applied outside the
United States, I can't get *that* specific.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You don't just decide to break
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     Kubrick's code of silence and then