Re: License of honeyd

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 02:15:49PM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> I was thinking on packaging honeyd [1] a small daemon to simulate servers
> and create a virtual honeynet. I'm, however, not completely sure the license
> is DFSG-free.

[ Old 4-clause BSD license ]

> I'm ok with 1, 2 and 4. But 3 (and advertisement clause) I'm not sure about.
> I've searched the list but havent't found any information on wether
> clauses are ok or not. The latest license mentioning an advertisement
> clause [2]
> wasn't turned down because of this.
>
> Should this go to non-free or free?

This is free. It's the 4-clause BSD license. It is, however,
GPL-incompatible, so if you're linking GPL software with it, that's not
ok. I'm sure you know the drill. It's the same with OpenSSL.

--
Brian M. Carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> 0x560553e7
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare