Re: Documentation licenses (GFDL discussion on debian-legal)

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 14:41, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 02:32, Herbert Xu wrote:
> >> Why are we distributing the bible then?
> >>
> >> bible-kjv-text - King James Version of the Bible - text and concordance
> >
> > Because we have bible-kjv, a program that browses it. The bible, besides
>
> That's interesting, because bible-kjv's description says:
>
>  This package contains a text-retrieval program and user interface which is
>  primarily designed to operate on the text and concordance of the King
>  James translation of the Bible, although it could, in principle, be
>  used for any text.
>
> So does this mean that we can package any text, provided that it is
> adapted for bible-kjv?

That sentence existed within the context of a paragraph that explained
why the particular text of the bible was important (which is, IMO, the
reason that there was such a program designed around it and not some
other book). If someone wants to adapt a text that shares the same
characteristics as the bible (interesting statistical analysis, often
used as a reference text) to the bible-kjv format, I wouldn't mind
adding it.

If, on the other hand, Debian developers don't have the common sense to
realize what would be useful with such a program and what isn't, then
I'll support removing it. But I'd like to give the project members a
little credit.
--
- Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>    -    http://www.sacredchao.net
  "What I did was justified because I had a policy of my own... It's