Re: Hardware license

Scripsit David Turner <novalis@novalis.org>
> On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 18:58, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > I throw away the source CD and then start selling the binary discs
> > from my retail store. My poor customers will be left with binaries and
> > no way to get source, much contrary to the intentions behind the
> > GPL. Now what *I* am doing is not really blessed by the GPL, but I
> > don't need to care - because I'm not doing any *copying*, I don't need
> > any copyright license, so I don't need to accept the GPL.

> You're not copying.  You're distributing.  That is, "to distribute
> copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or
> other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending."  So,
> you're still in violation.

Is that some U.S. statute language you're quoting there? It doesn't
apply to me; I'm in Denmark. Here, copyright is the right to copy, and
the law explicitly permits redistribution of a particular copy once it
has been sold or given to someone with the permission of the author.

[Danish Copyright Act LBK 618/2001, §19]

--
Henning Makholm                            "What a hideous colour khaki is."