Re: EULAs and the DFSG

On 04 Dec 2002 03:11:25 +0100
Sunnanvind Fenderson <sunnanvind@fenderson.com> wrote:
> I started thinking on the Apple license again. Unlike the GPL, which
> is a copyright license, it appears to be an end user license agreement
> which you have to agree with "prior to downloading the code" or
> something like that.
> Anyone willing to clear things up?

I suspect (though I could be wrong) that the the problem is that if it's
an "EULA", in that the user must agree to it before using the software
in question, we have to force them to agree to it before using it. We
can't guarantee that. a) I don't know anybody in Debian who would
advocate forcing the user to do something that they may or may want to
do, and b) even if it was attempted, there would be ways around it.

At least, not having participated in any of the prior discussions,
that's what I can see is wrong with the terms you mentioned.