Re: License DSFG-free?

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 09:25:43AM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> according to my ITP on debian-devel and in the BTS, I'm going to package
> tinycdb. First the current license for this package:
>
> |This package is written by Michael Tokarev, based on ideas and API
> |found in cdb-0.75 package by D.J.Bernstein, http://cr.yp.to/cdb.html.
> |
> |You can do whatever you like with this package.  The code is placed
> |at the public domain.

Public domain is free. One manpage calls it something like "the only
true free".

> |This package is distributed in a hope it will be useful, but
> |WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> |MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

However, because a program that is in the public domain has no copyright
(and can therefore have no license), you cannot technically disclaim
warranty. Well, you can, but you do not have the option of saying, "If
you do not accept the fact there is no warranty, you cannot use the
program", as in the GPL, MIT, BSD, Apache, or other licenses.

--
Brian M. Carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> 0x560553e7
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare