Re: Apache License & LGPL Compatible

The issue is not so much whether the license is compatible with the
Apache Software License, but whether we can link ASL Licensed code to
a LGPL library.  The key question here is whether the MS Excel Filter
plugin is a "work that uses the Library" or a "work based on the Library".

I would argue that it is a "work that uses the Library".  From section 5
of the LGPL:

  A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but
  is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it,
  is called a "work that uses the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is
  not a derivative work of the Library, and therefore falls outside the
  scope of this License.

Here is basically how the code will look:

+--------------------+
|   QT Libraries     |
|   QPL License      |
+--------------------+

       Linked

+--------------------+
|   KDElibs/KSpread  |
|   LPGL License     |
+--------------------+

       Linked

+--------------------+
|   libkspreadexport |
|   (LPGL???)*       |
+--------------------+

  Loadable Module, plugin API

+--------------------+
|   MS Excel Filter  |
|    BSD License**   |
+--------------------+

       Linked

+--------------------+
| Apache POI Library |
|   ASL License      |

Thanks,
TJ

* The author, Fred Malabre, has not released this code yet, and the
license is to be determined (we are hoping that it will be under the LGPL
license)

** The author, myself (TJ Mather), can pick any license for the filter
plugin.  I picked BSD License here because it seems it would be the most
compatible with LGPL and ASL.