Re: Linux kernel complete licence check, Q.16

Thomas Bushnell writes:
>Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> writes:
>> So the function is very simple, enought simple to be free?
>> Anyone kwnow a similar function but GPLized or PD (to replace this
>> function)?
>
>Being simple really doesn't matter.  However, glibc contains the
>function, so I'd just snarf the version from there.

[Nitpick mode on]
Actually, in general "originality" is a requirement for something to obtain
copyright, and if something is sufficiently simple it is considered to be
inherently unoriginal.  For instance, I can't copyright the string "DGLDU"
(in any country in the world as far as I know!), even though I made it up,
because it's not complicated enough to be "original".  But I would never rely
on that except in the most clear-cut cases, because the courts get to decide
what's "original", and they usually use a really, really loose standard.  The
function in question is certainly not as simple as a five-letter string....

If you see someone claiming that they don't know the copyright of the function
  static int one() { return 1; }
Then you can rely on "simplicity" to indicate that it's uncopyrightable.
[Nitpick mode off]

--Nathanael